Thursday, May 6, 2010

Taking extra steps

My boyfriend and I had contemplated getting a dog for years, literally years. We wanted one, but there was always some excuse or a gentle reminder from someone about how much work a dog is. I’ve wanted a dog for so long that one of my friends got me a dog Snuggie last year for my birthday. But, unfortunately dog-less, the Snuggie sat in my closet.

Until two weeks ago.

Our want for a dog finally out weighed all the excuses and we just did it.

On another note, humane society’s websites are a dangerous, dangerous thing. First, you start checking the available dog’s listed on the site once every few weeks. Then, once a week. Next, you’re checking it daily. Then, you zero in on one dog. You see that dog. You fall in love with that dog. You start to check the website hourly to see if that dog has found a happy home. He’s there for a few weeks and your heart begins to ache for that dog. You visit the humane society just to look at him. You love him, but sensibly go home. Check the website again. Still there. Go visit him again. Smack some sense into yourself and go home. Then, one really cruel day, they change the dog’s picture and he is now wearing an adorable bandana and looking at you with pleading eyes. You call your boyfriend. Tell him you’re leaving work early and the two of you are going to get that dog today.

And that, my friend, is the story of how Jax came into my life.


"Please, oh please, take me for a walk."

He’s an adorable 1.5-year-old Alaskan Husky mix (we think he’s got some Basenji in him too). The bundle of joy arrived at the Olson-McChain household on April 20, 2010, weighing 37 pounds 4 ounces.

And, I must tell you, I love him and am so happy we finally decided to get a dog. Not only is he loving, sweet, and playful, but he is also encouraging a more active lifestyle for myself.

Compound his puppy energy with his active breed, and this dog needs lots and lots of walks on a daily basis. I now wake up an hour earlier than I did before to walk him. The boyfriend takes him on long afternoon walks. And, at night, we try to run him either in a tennis court or get him over to a local dog park.


"Really? Is that all the running those little human legs of yours can do?"

Let me tell you, this dog can run. Seriously, for hours. He never tires. Or, at least he never gives into the temptation of being tired. But, stop him for a drink of water after he’s been running for a while, and he flops right over.

I know it sounds like a lot, looking at it makes me feel like it’s a lot. But really, it’s not. It’s actually a joy. I’ve gotten used to it being in my routine and have found myself much more active each and every day. After all, Jax doesn’t take days off.

Anyway, it’s been great having a dog so far and I’m sure I’ll have plenty of dog stories to share with you. We’ll have to keep an eye on how much this extra walking affects my weight loss. It can only help, I’m sure.

So, go to your local humane society, rescue a dog, and put on your walking shoes!

And, as far as the Snuggie goes, there’s good news and bad news. The good news is: Jax loves the Snuggie. The bad news, he’d rather chew it and rip it to shreds than wear it. Of course he has fashion sense, he is my dog after all.



"Absolutely not. That Snuggie totally makes me look fat."

What a snot.

No comments:

Post a Comment