Wednesday, July 14, 2010

I just don’t understand

Why are some people reluctant to mention to someone when they notice a weight loss? Are they worried they might offend them? Is it insinuating that they used to think they were fat?

I don’t think so at all. Personally, it makes my day, no week, when someone asks me if I’ve lost weight and how I did it.

It honestly feels good that others notice the hard work. It’s amazing validation. And, let’s be real, I love the attention.

But, on the other hand, are there others out there that genuinely don’t like the attention? Does it really make some uncomfortable when their weight loss is pointed out?

For whatever reason, I don’t believe that. I think if someone is working hard to lose 10 or more pounds, they want people to notice.

So, I believe, if you think someone looks slimmer, tell them!

Now, you sure as heck don’t have to say something like: “Wow, your stomach sure jiggles a lot less these days” or “Your ass actually fits in those jeans now.”

Just a simple: “You look amazing! Have you done anything different lately?”

I feel like that approach will elicit a long conversation from those like me (AKA attention whores) or just a simple thanks from those who may be a bit shyer about the situation.

Either way, I promise it will boost their confidence and, even if it doesn’t happen immediately, it will make them smile.

Hearing those comments from people pushes me to continue on my diet and exercise plan because it shows that what I’m doing is working. Sure, seeing the numbers on the scale go down feels really good, but when other people notice, it really feels amazing and makes all the hard work worth it.

Now, go, get out there, and boost someone’s confidence.

1 comment: