Thursday, July 15, 2010

It only took me 9 years

Yesterday at the gym, I did something I have never done before: I ran a 4K in under 20 minutes!!

I did it 19:14 to be exact.

See, I ran cross-country all through high school, and could never break that 20 minute mark. I came short by a few seconds a couple of times, but still couldn't hit it. Now, I now that is not particularly fast. But, I have never been a fast runner. I am more than happy with my ten-minute mile pace.

Now, I think there are a few reasons for this:
  1. I was at least 10 pounds heavier all through high school. I'm sure the extra weight had to slow me down a bit.
  2. Although I enjoyed cross-country, I mainly enjoyed the camaraderie and the organized activity part and was never much concerned in excelling in it. I just had fun doing it. So, you see, I was always too busy talking to run fast. (I know what you're thinking: You? A talker? No way! But, alas, it's true.)
So, yesterday at the gym, I decided to plan my run at a pace to finish the 4K in under 20. I figured if I really couldn't do it, I would just stop. But, that never happened because I did finish it!

And, I must say, not only do I feel pretty good today (I thought I would be kind of sore), but at the end of the run, I wasn't completely beat. So, next time, I'll up the pace a little more and see what happens.

For all the naysayers that are calling out the fact that everyone always runs faster on treadmills because there's never any incline, I would just like to point out that I beat it by 46 seconds and I think that's enough wiggle room to add the time I would have lost running outside. So there!

I took a vacation day from work tomorrow. So today is my Friday! Woo hoo!!! Matt and I will be joining his family for a weekend getaway to Chetek, WI for some action-packed days of swimming, water skiing, and relaxation. I'm really looking forward to it.

I'm also pretty excited to unveil my newly transformed bikini body. The last time everyone saw me in a suit, I was 40 pounds heavier. I'll be sure to take some pics.

Also, we're saying good bye to Jax for the weekend and leaving him with my parents and brother. It's the longest I will be away from him since he came into my life. *Tear.* What ever shall I do? *Sniffle.* It will be a sad goodbye.

So, until Monday ...

P.S. Please send all the self-discipline energy you have my way. I'm going to need it to avoid all the horribly delicious food I will be around all weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment