Monday, July 12, 2010

My blood type is custard

As you already know, one of my favorite things about summer has been the summery foods. Things like brats, burgers, beer, taco dip, custard. All the deliciously simple things that make me think of summer.

But, this summer has been different. I've been on this (seemingly never ending) journey of weight loss, and I have had to condition myself to enjoy different, and healthier kinds of summer foods. 

And, I must say, as long as no one says the word 'brat,' it's been working.

I often find myself craving corn on the cob (no butter, simply pepper and a little paprika, pretty delicious), all kinds of fruit, and pasta salad (I make this version that Matt even loves using whole wheat pasta, canola oil, soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, and lots of vegetables).

But, there is one delicious treat that I will never be able to forget about, and that is custard. Being a Milwaukee-native, custard has it's own section on our food pyramid, as do burgers, beer, and cheese.

So, even though I've been able to swap out most of the non-healthy summer foods with healthier versions, there is and never will be a substitute for custard.

Can I get an 'Amen'?

No comments:

Post a Comment